Ok…no griping…no bitching…no poignant observations (well maybe one or two.)..Just a heartfelt Happy New Year to all my readers and friends. While I do not truly believe there is any logical reason for expecting that the world will be any different a second after midnight tonight I suppose it is as good a time as any for reflection on the ups, downs and accomplishments we have experienced.
For my part I can’t say it was an annnus horribilis as it was a good year for me at work and I certainly added some dear new friends to my small circle. Some friends have drifted away and I jettisoned a couple in the early part of the year to maintain my sanity. This is all part of life and is normal. As my therapist once told me it is fine to say “It has been nice knowing you and it will be even nicer not knowing you”….or as Madonna sang… The Power of Goodbye. I suppose i have learned a little more over the past 365 and I am now more certain than ever that we have a short time on this blue marble and we should try and make the best of it.
I was happy this year that climate change finally began to be taken seriously around the world and happy that Al Gore got to share in the Nobel. In 2008 we can all look forward to the fact that George Dubya will be counting down the days before he has to leave the halls of power in the US and the rest of the world will have a really good reason to celebrate 2009. The killing of Benazir Bhutto was a sad development to end the year on and I fear for her son who plans to run in her stead..politics is a nasty business and even deadly in some countries.
There are a few less earthshaking things about 2007 for me..here comes the list of things i learnt….
- Giselle is one of the funniest people I have ever met.
- Steve is a clown but he is a reliable and good clown to have around.
- Peter & Naz throw great house parties.
- Robin is incapable of fixing his internet connection without me around.
- Peter Police is getting better at decorating and keeping a clean house.
- Alvin will always be Alvin.
- Binky really thought that a mouse could survive in a sealed plastic bag.
- Omar is scary competitive
- I am awful..just godawful.. at keeping in touch with family.
- In a pinch, Alka Seltzer lemon lime can mix very well with gin thank you very much.
- Mondeos are expensive to fix.
My only resolutions this year are to make more of an effort with my close friends and to try and use less hair gel. So dear reader, wherever you may be, a happy 2008 and may all your dreams come true..or at least a goodly handful.